Thursday, September 6, 2018

In the Salt Mines

Yes.  I've been busy.  Even in this terrible, unforgiving heat.  This summer has been awful.   Up and down swings from highs of 90+ to highs of 78 and overnight lows in the 80s and 70s which is pretty unheard of in Michigan.  I don't like it, not one bit.  Oh, I realize the snow will be here soon, but if this overly hot summer is any indicator, it may not get cold until December.

I refuse to let the heat stop me though.  I've continued designing and making new items that I love.  I recently got into making 'halves' bracelets.  Or halved-cuffs if you will.  I put the seam straight down the middle and I like it!  It opens the door to all new types of looks and plays on the idea of opposites or sides.  On top of that, they fit every size wrist and forearm for super easy wearability!

Also, this allows you to make some mighty large pieces.  If you are a shrink plastic jewelry designer, you know that the plastic does not shrink to 40% its original size, as some brands advertise, it's more like 20%, which means a ton of shrinkage.  You can have a piece that measures 5"x 5", and it ends up 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" or a little smaller.  Okay, so maybe not 20%, but you get the idea.  This can make for a very small bracelet.  While I do like petite and delicate, I like bracelets you can SEE and FEEL even more. :)

I have also been getting into more bold and graphic imagery.  It just feels so right to me at the moment.  I have worn several of my pieces and get compliments regularly, a definite good sign!
My love of shrink plastic will never end.  I always have so many ideas and so little time to play and execute them due to the constraints of a full-time job and a house that must be maintained.  I have some of my latest shown below.






































After this huge storm of bracelets, I have just two days ago changed gears and gotten into earrings and necklaces to mix it up.  These look fabulous on!  Only the beginning in this direction, more beauties to come soon!




While I'd love to list these on Etsy, where I have been actively selling for almost 4 years, my wish is to list them on my Weebly site, but I'm having issues with that and I'm not sure Google is cataloging any of it so that when people search, they find me.  Who knows?  Also, I think the user Weebly user's instruction manual that is provided is weak and at times quite obtuse leaving a new online store owner shrugging her shoulders when it comes to REALLY understanding SEO.  I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake by going to Weebly and not Shopify.  I think the website choices at Shopify far outnumber those offered by Weebly, but Weebly layouts and store set-up were rated the easiest by many so that is what I did.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Viewing Etsy Purchases by Seller -- Why is This Not an Option?

Little side-gripe here, but I think a long overdue request of Etsy.  I think that buyers should be able to pull up purchases, by seller.  Wh...