Monday, September 10, 2018

Utter Confusion about SEO

Where do I begin?  I opened my store, fauxshowart.com in January 2018.  No traffic, nothing.  To be fair, I didn't really do much with it until the past couple of months with regard to SEO and asking Google to crawl my website.  I didn't have my SEO set up properly and honestly, I still don't think that I do.  The directions provided by Weebly are obtuse which surprises me since they are a web building company and I feel the instructions should be ironclad and precise.  Maybe I'm just thick.  The places where they tell you to enter your SEO, are not the same sections (they don't have the same names in the page builder), so it's really puzzling and highly frustrating.

Google and other search engines like Bing now require you enter a verification tag so that they know you are the owner of a URL.  This makes sense to me as you do not want someone to make requests for a site that is not theirs.

In order to be put into Google Analytics and or Search Console, you are given a clump of data that must be pasted into the head of each page of your site.  This allows for tracking and analytical information gathering.  Easy, right?  Wrong.  Here is why.  I had an Etsy Pattern site for about 14 months.  For the site, I paid for my own URL.  fauxshowart.com   Well, when I closed Pattern and opened a Weebly site, I had to get a 'key' from Etsy that I carried to Weebly so that I could retain my store's URL, which I renewed for a year.  Great, right?  Maybe not.  I asked that Google Search 'crawl' my site to catalog it only to find 11 broken links.  They were links to items that were no longer available, in other words, sold, on my Etsy site.  What Google Search did was crawl my old Etsy Pattern website, which is no longer active.  How is that even possible?

What's worse, the name in Google Analytics is Faux Show Art - Etsy.  ???  I'm completely confused and really quite upset about the entire thing.  It can take Google a long time to crawl your site.

I'm going to have to dive into this again and probably even call Weebly support to help me muddle through all of it.

It's this type of thing that keeps people bound to entities like Etsy and it's unfortunate.  Etsy is as expensive as Ebay, they are no longer about cottage makers and artists.  They allow mass-produced items to be sold on their platform and I want nothing more than to be free from that.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

Viewing Etsy Purchases by Seller -- Why is This Not an Option?

Little side-gripe here, but I think a long overdue request of Etsy.  I think that buyers should be able to pull up purchases, by seller.  Wh...